You don't have to signal a social conscience by looking like a frump. Lace knickers won't hasten the holocaust, you can ban the bomb in a feather boa just as well as without, and a mild interest in the length of hemlines doesn't necessarily disqualify you from reading Das Kapital and agreeing with every word. --Elizabeth Bibesco

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 2

So I have a big long feminism post that I will finish eventually, but I'm on my second day and I'd just like to throw out a few observations.

1) Living in a co-op (with men) has made this more difficult than it might be otherwise. For instance: It's 2am and I have to go to the bathroom. What do I wear down the hallway? The answer turned out to be a Senegalese pagné (pronounced pawn-yay) and a sweatshirt, but it was a hard call. One thing I love about this is that it makes me aware of God all the time-- which is awesome.
Me and a bunch of other people wearing pagnés.






 2) I walked down the street today and so many people stopped and stared at me that I thought I'd cause a traffic jam. Now, this is Ann Arbor, guys. On campus. I've seen people walking around in fairy costumes that get fewer looks than I did today. And it's not like I was doing something weird. (For instance, the other day, I was wearing a hijab and an ambulance went buy, so I crossed myself. Understandably, someone stared at me-- obviously a little confused.) I was walking down the street in a long, brown coat, a mid-calf-length jean skirt and obnoxiously brightly-colored rainboots. My Woman rated it a 5 out of 10 on a scale of weird Ann Arbor outfits. I just don't get it...

0 comments:

Post a Comment