You don't have to signal a social conscience by looking like a frump. Lace knickers won't hasten the holocaust, you can ban the bomb in a feather boa just as well as without, and a mild interest in the length of hemlines doesn't necessarily disqualify you from reading Das Kapital and agreeing with every word. --Elizabeth Bibesco

Friday, April 1, 2011

Liberation!

So I was sitting in a meeting the other day with about a dozen other women. It was informal so I was wearing my ankle-length jean skirt, a sweater with a shell underneath, and a kerchief. I looked around the room and every other woman was wearing jeans. Now, I like jeans-- they're durable, they're versatile and they look cute. But I can't stand shopping for jeans. This goes back to what my old dietitian said about the fashion industry-- they're out to get women. I can spend 2 hours in Express trying to find the right jeans, finally find them, grab another pair of the same cut, style and size off the wall, take them home and then find out they other one doesn't fit! And that's not to knock Express-- at least they have jeans that fit me. Most places don't.

Skirts on the other hand, I'm not looking for an 8 long, I'm just looking for an 8. I can shop for them anywhere and I do! My ankle-length jean skirt does almost anything a pair of jeans could do and it took me 20 minutes to try on. Now that's liberation from the fashion industry. :) Or it's a start, anyway.

Maybe one of these days I will learn to sew and make my own clothes or buy clothes just from people who've made it themselves-- that would be about as liberated from the fashion industry as one could get (like most Plain people). And I'm not saying I'll never wear jeans again --I mean, come on, try riding a horse in an ankle-length skirt. I just mean that maybe wearing more skirts and fewer jeans isn't just an act of modesty or an act of faith or an act of beauty (and all of those things are subjective). Maybe, it's also an act of liberation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment